Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oatmeal... Bread?

I've been baking a lot of bread lately, now that I have a handy dandy mixer to cut down on the mess.  I've been keeping my eyes open for new kinds to try... and I came across a few recipes for oatmeal bread.  What the heck is oatmeal bread?  I don't know!  So I decided to try it!  It seems there are many different ways to make oatmeal bread, so I modified the easiest recipe I came across to suit my pantry.  It's not usually safe to experiment with baking, but I'm doing it anyway!  It turned out to be delicious, though possibly tooo moist? Doesn't even need a spread, tasty and moist all by itself!  Yum!  Also, I'm really excited, because I've come close to solving the mystery of the delicious but "what the heck kind of bread is this" bread from Tir Na Nog!

Quick (no yeast!) and Easy Oatmeal Bread 
Makes 12 servings.  Per serving:  149 Cal, 2.3 g fat, 27.6 g carb, 1.4 g fiber, and 4.2 g protein.


(click link below for recipe)

Equipment (minimal, yaaaay!):
  • 1 large mixing bowl
  • 1 microwave safe liquid measuring cup
  • 1 ½ cup dry measuring cup
  • 1 measuring teaspoon
  • Loaf pan
  • Oven
 Ingredients (probably in your kitchen right now!):
  • 1 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/4 cup honey (I estimated, it’s so messy to measure)
  • 1 tablespoon (approx.) butter
  • 1 1/4 cup (2 heaping ½ cups) rolled oats
  • 1 egg
  • ½ cup almond milk (regular milk would work too)
  • 2 cups (4 ½ cups) all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon (3 tsp) baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Non-stick spray, oil, or butter
 Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour a loaf pan
  2.  In large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, honey, and butter
  3. Add oats, let sit 10-15 minutes
  4.  Add ½ cup cold almond milk and mix well (to make mixture cool enough to not cook an egg)
  5. Stir in the egg (mix very well if didn’t beat the egg first)
  6.  Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder (best to combine these first, but that would involve an extra bowl, and I’m too lazy).  Mix very well!
  7.  Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45 60 minutes.  Check with knife or skewer… if it comes out clean, then it’s done.  If not, cook for another 10 to 15 minutes (look carefully, I thought "mostly clean" would be enough, but it wasn't - tasted great but difficult to cut!).
    PS - This would be really easy to mix things into, like dried fruits and nuts, cinnamon, or anything else you put in your oatmeal!  Chocolate chips?  Breakfast on the go!

    PPS - There's room for improvement, falls apart while slicing... but still delicious!

    PPPS - It's really dense.  This has pros and cons... very filling, but bad for sandwiches

      3 comments:

      1. Hmm, oatmeal bread...sounds interesting. And a great breakfast!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Haha, the comment email showed up in my inbox from "JayZ" and my first though was, why am I getting spam from a rapper?" My 2nd thought was, "why didn't my spam filter work?"

        I've also read that oatmeal makes awesome smoothies, but I've never tried them... maybe they'd be a big babyfood hit? http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/avena-healthy-oatmeal-shake.html

        ReplyDelete
      3. LMAO!!! We are a rapper family :-)

        Hmm, interesting. She eats rice cereal so why not an oatmeal smoothie? Maybe I'll try it.

        ReplyDelete

      Popular Posts