Monday, January 31, 2011

Scraps for dinner!

I like to play a game called "What's in the fridge?"  Sometimes, this game overlaps with another one, called "What's in the freezer?"  I played a mix of the two this weekend!  I didn't take any pictures, since it was super ugly, but it was also super delicious!  Here's what I used:

Fridge:
1/2 a head of cabbage
1/2 a can of tomato paste

Freezer:
Cooked ground beef, crumbled (about a cup or 1/2 pound?)
Cooked italian sausage, diced (2 links?)
Super salty leftover stir fried egg plant (1/2 cup?)

Countertop:
1 onion
2 red potatoes

Instrucciones:
  1. Chop onion, place in bottom of casserole or crock pot.
  2. Dice potatoes, same.
  3. Chop cabbage, same.  Mix the 3 together a bit.
  4. Season with oregano, mrs. dash, herbes de provence, or whatever herby stuff you might have.
  5. Salt and pepper too (unless you have super salty eggplant coming, like i did)
  6. Spread around sausage, ground beef and eggplant
  7. Mix tomato paste with water (about 1 cup total liquid) and pour over.
  8. Put on lid, and bake at 350 for an hour or two, checking to make sure concoction doesn't dry out.  If it does dry out (like mine did after more than 90 minutes, husband neglected instructions to turn off oven when timer went off), rescue with tomato-y liquid!  I used a can of tomato soup.  
It was delicious, I win!  I like this game! Would also work just fine with uncooked meats, just make sure to cook long enough for them to come to a safe temperature.  Instead of tomato-y liquid, I bet broth would work... and instead of eggplant I imagine mushrooms would work well.  Maybe I'll try those substitutions next time I play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts