Tuesday, February 9, 2010

grrrrllluuaaa (stomach growling)

I'm starving!!  My stomach is talking to me, it has a mind of it's own.  And it's saying "don't eat healthy food, get me some lasagna!"  I know it's only 10:30, but the cranky old man in my belly doesn't care about acceptable dining behaviors.  I offered him a yogurt, but who in their right mind would accept yogurt when they want lasagna?  Not this cranky belly, i can tell you that.  I tried little coffee with lots of milk and sugar (wear down the attitude with some sugar and acid?) but it only made him angrier.  Maybe carrot sticks or a nectarine will have more success?  Not likely.  I might have to go out and get some lasagna for 2nd breakfast.

Maybe I can appease him by detailing my weekend food adventures?  Saturday I made my own chicken stock! (not good enough for the cranky old man, but i was plenty happy!)  I used this recipe (using chicken breasts!), and it turned out very well.  I also made bread, tried to use a recipe with no milk (basically yeast, water, sugar, and as much flour as i could get in there), but then i let it rise for way too long, it collapsed, and i came out with a weird foccacia-like brick.  As it's aging, it's getting less crusy and is actually not so bad.

With my stock-remnant boiled chicken breasts, I decided to try making a buffalo chicken dip.  I modified the recipe a bit, forgot about the vinegar, and used feta cheese instead of blue (gross!).  It turned out pretty good, but i think i went a little too heavy handed on the hot sauce!  We have lots leftover, so I used a bunch of my fresh chicken stock to make potato soup, into which we mixed spoonfulls of the leftover buffalo chicken dip for a spicy chicken & cheese potato soup.  Was pretty tasty!  More for dinner tonight... and probably every night for the rest of the week, haha. 

I also made chocolate cookies!  They were delicious!  But we already ate them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts