Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shake shake shake

I'm trying to make myself like soymilk. I'm addicted to yogurt and cheese, but lactaid pills are kind of expensive and i'm trying to learn to like soymilk for things like coffee and cereal. For my belly, i've been trying to avoid caffeine, but sometimes i get a giant craving for a sweet beverage. So imagine my delight when i found a packet of carnation instant breakfast in my desk drawer this morning, next to the rice krispies! (well, rice krispie wannabees, puffed brown rice, blegh). So, off to the kitchen i went, to mix up a chocolate soy instant breakfast. GIANT FAILURE! A. Nothing to shake with, B. Tasted really gross, and lumpy.

Maybe carnation instant breakfasts are a bad idea to begin with, aren't they full of chemicals? Chemical vitamins... but chemicals nonetheless.

I've been wondering lately if i should give my body a "clense", like go vegan for a week, see if i can survive, and see if i feel healthier. But let's be realistic, i can't go vegan. Or even vegetarian, i love me some cheeseburgers.

So instead, maybe i should focus on ridding my life of one terrible food... but what food? What food can i eliminate from my diet, with the biggest health impact? Processed meat? White flour? Cookies? (Forget it!) What's the worst food out there? Probably hot dogs. They taste pretty good sometimes though... but maybe i could give up processed meat... no cold cuts, no hot dogs, no sausage? What do you think? Are there any decent hot dogs substitutions out there? Maybe a hot dog roll with some roast pork, saurkraut, and mustard would work... what about kielbasa? Any substitutes for that? Would fresh sausage from the butcher (or butcher department) be allowed?

PS - Why do vegans think that fake chicken patties are healthier than real chicken patties? Are they really? I can't see how fake food could ever be more healthy than real food...

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find Turkey Kielbasa for a recipe I want to make...

    Why Soy Milk? I'm asking because I've been trying to decide what route to go. I buy organic fat free for us & I just bought B some organic whole for some smoothies & stuff, but I've been wondering why people choose soy or rice milk over organic (unless they're lactose intolerant, of course)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideally, I think i would choose regular organic/grass fed/antibiotic free milk if i could, but that requires more pills, so boo that. Originally i was leaning toward soy milk because of the protein and the fact that it's the easiest alternative to find. But after reading in defense of food, i've been back pedaling, knowing how much soy is in my diet without even eating tofu or soy milk. I bought a thing of almond milk to try next... i haven't tried rice milk because we eat a fair amount of rice since my husband is cuban, and i'm going for variety. Unfortunately, most dairy free milk products (yogurt, cheese, ice cream) are pretty gross. And i wouldn't be surprised if they chemical heavy... i wasn't looking for chemicals last time i gave them a try.

    I think as long as you're consciously making an effort to get B well rounded nutrition, i'm sure any route will be fine :) But real milk = real calcium for growing baby boys :)

    My sister argues that we shouldn't be drinking skim milk or eating non-fat yogurt, that we should really go with the whole versions and just control our portions, so that we're eating the food in it's more natural state. Though how natural is yogurt sold in a plastic container, whole milk or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your problem was the liquid meal (carnation instant breakfast) not the soymilk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally made it back to see if you responded... Thanks, you've saved me a lot of research, I think.

    i get what your sister is saying, but I am more in agreeance with you. However, Michael Pollan did point out that there are some Low Fat Yogurts that contain so much more sugar than regular yogurt, so I think with that kind of stuff it just goes back to reading labels... checking all the ingredients & everything!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts