Thursday, February 24, 2011

Easy and delicious cuban food!

I love cooking, but I never have enough time.  Which is why I love my crock-pot so much.  Husband loves my crock-pot too, because I use it to make him ropa vieja*!  I know I've probably mentioned this before, because it's so easy and I make it fairly often, but I don't think husband will ever get sick of it, so I'm ok with that.  I made it Monday and he's having it for dinner tonight, 4th night in a row, haha.  Here's how easy it is!  The list looks long, but it's just faking you out.  Plus, it will last a while.    You could also freeze it, but we always eat it all.

Ingredients
  • Flank Steak
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • Red Bell pepper, sliced
  • Clove or two of garlic, minced
  • Large onion, sliced
  • Bay Leaf
  • Cumin (tablespoon?)
  • Oregano (teaspoon?)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Wine, Cooking wine, or white vinegar - 1/4 cup(ish)
Directions
  • Place garlic, onions, and peppers in bottom of crock-pot.
  • Place flank steak on top of the veggies.  Sometimes I sear in the juices first, sometimes I don't.  I haven't noticed too much of a difference.  If you don't sear and it has any visible fatty portions, you should probably remove them.
  • Add tomato paste, oregano, cumin, and bay leaf.
  • Pour in the tomatoes, sauce and vinegar or wine.
  • Cook for 4 hours on high, or 8 on low.   Longer is not a problem.  
  • Pull out steak and place on a large plate.  Cut in half or thirds, against the grain (to make strips shorter when shredded).
  • Using two forks, pull in opposite directions with the grain, and the steak should shred very easily.
  • Mix shredded steak back in with tomatoey goop in crock pot.
  • Salt and Pepper to taste (authentic would be lots of salt, but not so healthy), and serve over rice!  (or mashed plantains, or potatoes, or in a burrito, though cuban husband would be mortified by the potato and burrito suggestions) We usually have with rice, cuban black beans**, and sliced avocado.  Sour cream also goes nicely... as do scallions)
To make it more veggie heavy, you can add a bunch of shredded or diced carrots, and the flavor won't change much.  I've also heard apples work, though I haven't tried it.  You could also up the amount of peppers and onions, or use only half a flank steak (but don't tell my husband!).


*Husband would freak out if I served it as shown in this Wikipedia image.  Yellow rice and black beans can't be served together!  Silly Cuban food rules.  Or maybe I got the rules mixed up?  Husband?  Care to clarify?
 
** You can buy Cuban black bean soup in a can, but I make husband make the beans!  Recipe to come if I ever try my own hand at them...

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, that sounds delicious! Printing it out right now!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts