Thursday, May 14, 2015

peanut butter treats

One of the weirdest things about becoming accidentally skinny is that I have to add fat to my diet.  As in, I have to try hard to make sure I eat enough fat.  As in, a LOT of fat.

There are a lot of differing opinions out there about which fats are healthy.  We all do what works for us, and I currently use a lot of coconut oil, olive oil, ghee (basically clarified butter), and bacon fat (for flavor!).  I also try not to skim fat out of meat dishes... but sometimes I'm still to grossed out after being raised in 90's America, during the height of the fat-free fad.

But there are some things that everyone appreciates some delicious fats in - even fat-free dieters.
 
DESSERTS!

Things like chocolates... and peanut butter cups...

I may not be allowed to eat chocolate, but I've (carefully) hopped back on the peanut butter train!

I've adapted the coconut oil "frosting" idea into bite size frozen treats, yum!  Great as a high fat snack, or as a satisfying dessert - just a tiny taste can be quite satisfying!

Frozen bite-sized peanut butter treats
quantities are estimates...

  • 1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil (not liquid!)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)


  1. mix all ingredients well
  2. place in silicone molds or place blobs on a small plate or tray lined with foil or parchment
  3. put in freezer for 30 minutes
  4. pop out of molds or off of tray and put in a ziploc or tupperware.  Store in freezer.

I like to chew them one at a time - they remind me of the insides of a peanut butter cup.  But sometimes I let them melt in my mouth instead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts