Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To Wheat, or Not to Wheat...

I'm doing an experiment.  It all started with a giant bowl of pasta.  Followed by weird stomach pains.  I don't really know if these pains were caused by the size of the bowl, by the pasta itself, or maybe they were just coincidental.  But it happened a few times... hence my experiment.

I'm attempting to go 2 weeks without consuming gluten

THIS IS HARD!!

Do you know what gluten is?  I knew it as "that stuff that makes bread dough...doughy."
But it's also a magic ingredient that's in just about everything!  Cookies, chicken broth, soy sauce, cookies, cookies... did i mention cookies?

So, in preparation, i did my research and stocked up on some gluten free cookie supplies.  Here's what you need to know:  packaged gluten free cookies are pretty gross.  Homemade gluten free stuff is DELICIOUS!  I even found a "cookie" that I can claim is breakfast.  Here's a scone recipe, right off the package of baking mix!  IT'S DELICIOUS!  (I'll be honest, the only scones I ever baked before were weight watchers... and therefore a huuuuge dissapointment.  but not these!!)

Here's how good these are: I went to take a picture of them, and ended up eating half of one, even though I wasn't hungry!! Mmmm.



Click Below for Recipe 
Ingredients
  • 2-1/3 cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup currants  (I used golden raisins instead)
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla (Not in original recipe)
 Directions

Mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter using two knives. Add the milk and beaten egg. Mix together with a fork. Dough will be thick. Drop large, tall dollops of dough (scones will spread when baking) onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-17 minutes.

Yield: 10 scones.

Recipe Source:  Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts