Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A little behind...

Warning:  If your not interested in plants, this is a very boring post.  But not to me!

Now that I have a yard, I'm going to have a vegetable garden this year!  (In containers!  In my driveway...taking it slow, haha).  I don't know where the sun will be in my backyard (lots of leaf-less trees at the moment), but you can be sure that I will be marking out a spot for a REAL vegetable garden for next year, after I figure out where to put it!

I'm a bit of a procrastinator, mixed in with a bit of what I suspect is adult onset ADD, so I finally ordered seeds last week, and planted them last night.  Only about 2 months later than recommended.... we'll see what happens! 

Ordering seeds is stressful!  There are so, so many choices!  I'd never even seen a seed catalog, so I signed up for a bajillion different ones, such as Johnny's, Burpee, Stokes, Cook's Garden, and more!  I dog-eared and circled all over each of the catalogs, loving everything, wanting to become a full time farmer.  But then the day came when I realized that I needed to choose JUST A FEW, to try this year.  I had to cross off many options, including this beauty, because I just had to draw the line somewhere!  But it will be on my "short" (actually very long) list for NEXT year!


Romanesco Broccoli (image from wikipedia)

So what did I actually buy?  Well...

Notice I did not buy any basil, chives, oregano, etc. That's because I freaked out and couldn't handle anymore decision making.  Also, that's a loooooot of seeds.  I'll just buy some already grown this year!  I also have already planted some seeds my mom brought me a few weeks ago... spinach, green onions, mammoth sunflowers, and red sunflowers.  They're all very happy!  I can't wait to plant them outside... this morning (at 6:15) I planted some sweet pea seeds along the fence... I hope the squirrels don't find them! 

(Mom's also hooked me up with a threesome of baby blueberry bushes, 2 forsythia bushes, some hollyhocks, dahlias, elephant ear, and a few other mystery ground cover/shade plants, I'm so excited and/or overwhelmed!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts