Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yo ho and really bad eggs

Yesterday was not my day.  All sorts of things went wrong!  But one very important thing went right:  while the rest of connecticut waded through the muck, our (empty) basement stayed dry!! HOORAY!  To celebrate, I decided to try using up some leftover egg yolks to make my husband a delicious caramel flan like his abuela makes.  FAIL

Lets start at the beginning.  I should have realized these eggs would not bring good tidings, based on their origin.  Why did I have extra egg yolks?  Because I used the whites to try and save my cloudy chicken broth.  Apparently, when you make chicken broth, you're not supossed to ever let it boil, ever.  I was tight for time and lacking this pertinent information, so I boiled the heck out of my chicken bits.  Gross foggy brown liquid later... I did some research and found out that you can fix this mess by boiling it with a mixture of egg whites, crushed shells, and vinegar.   THIS WAS NOT PLEASANT (this chicken just wont leave me alone!)  It smelled really weird and was very difficult to clean up... but it worked!

Flan Comparison Diagram
So now I had some decent chicken broth, a weird smelling kitchen, and several egg yolks.  There's not a whole lot you can do with egg yolks on a weeknight.  But it just so happened that my pantry was stocked with condensed milk*, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and sugar.  So I tried my had at microwave caramel flan... otro desastre.  Still tasty, but definitely not the smooth creamy custard known as flan.  Maybe it wasn't really the egg yolks' fault, seeing as I chose a microwave as my heat source.  Eggs + microwave tends to end badly, but I'd heard it could work...  I'm pretty sure flan isn't supossed to bubble and puff into layers as it cooks.  Nor is caramel supossed to turn into rock candy on a spoon.  Oh well, at least it still tasted good!

*I never used ot have condensed milk in my pantry, but husband eats it with saltines - it's his favorite meal.  And I thought I had a sweet tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts