Thursday, August 4, 2016

Surgery is Scary

Before my 2nd/3 surgeries toward J-Pouch, I was very scared.

My first surgery was scary because of the way it all happened, but I actually wasn't that scared because there was no choice in the matter, I was really sick, surgery was the only option, and it happened quickly.

This time around surgery is a choice... and with that comes doubts!  I've made my choice, but I'm still scared.  

  • I'm scared that I'll suffer from pouchitis
  • I'm scared of scar tissue and strictures and obstructions
  • I'm scared of the pain of surgery itself and that I've forgotten how to deal with pain (with UC, pain was a daily occurrence and I think I built up a tolerance... what if I've become a wuss now that I'm healthier?
  • I'm scared that my butt will hurt all the time
  • I'm scared that I'll leak
  • I'm scared that I'll still feel like I have colitis every time I menstruate
  • I'm scared that sex will cause J-Pouch discomfort... possibly ruining intimacy for ever and ever.
  • I'm scared that something will go wrong and my family will suffer me being sick again
  • I'm scared about the fact that I'll never be "normal" again... even if everything is successful
  • I'm scared that I'm being selfish for taking the time to go through with all of this when I have little kids at home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts