Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I did it!

I finally found the time to make a baby blanket for my OWN baby!  It started out as a way to use up some silly yarn my mom gave me, but it turned out really nice, in fact I'm really proud of it!  I made up the crochet pattern using a stitch I saw gain popularity recently on Pinterest (the bobble stitch), and I think it will be a great texture for the baby to explore.

My baby's new blanket!
 I used a combination of single crochet and bobble stitches in gray and rainbow, and I finished the project by working around the edges once with the rainbow yarn in single crochet.  If it weren't so fluffy I would have done used half-double crochet stitches, but with this boucle yarn I didn't need to.  I used Lion Brand Boucle yarn (which has apparently been discontinued) and Red Heart Grey (not sure which shade exactly).

Pattern I made up (roughly, I've never tried to write a pattern before)
Grey stripe:
  • foundation single crochet in multiples of 4+2, chain 1, 
  • single crochet 6 (?) rows
  • skip first stitch, *bobble stitch, single crochet in next 3 stitches* until end, chain 1
  • single crochet 7 (?) rows
  • change colors, chain 1
Color Stripe:
  • skip first stitch, single crochet in next 2 stitches, *bobble stitch, single crochet in next 3* until end, chain 1
  • single crochet 1 row
  • skip first stitch, *bobble stitch, single crochet 3* until end, 
  • single crochet 1 row
  • change colors, chain 1
Repeat until desired length. 

To finish:
Working with colored yarn, single crochet all the way around the blanket.  Work in ends, wash & dry as allowed by yarn type (I put in washing machine and dryer), voila!  No blocking necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts